CBS Co-Creation of Knowledge Project
— Co-Creation Laboratory
Call for proposals: CBS Co-Creation of Knowledge Project
— Co-Creation Laboratory
Sep. 1, 2022
Researchers at universities, research institutions (other than RIKEN) and medical organizations in Japan
- The project must be collaborative research conducted at CBS, utilizing seeds and resources that CBS possesses.
- The applicants must contact the hosting laboratory at CBS prior to applying. Advance coordination with the hosting laboratory at CBS is required to discuss and decide the research title, plan and members; the period, duration, and frequency of visits to CBS; and necessary costs. The hosting laboratory should be selected from the list of laboratories that is attached separately.
List of CBS hosting laboratories
- Both the Applicant’s side and CBS hosting laboratory must establish a research representative respectively.
- A research plan of three years is required.
Co-Creation Laboratory research funding for FY2023
- Maximum of 5,000,000 JPY per year for one project.
- Funding will be allocated to the CBS hosting laboratory and operated in accordance with RIKEN regulations and procedures (There will be no payment of research expenses from RIKEN to the collaborating party.)
- Provided funding should be spent by the Applicant on expenses for collaborative research activities within the facility of CBS for the approved research project only.
- Applicants who are given a job title/appointed as a member of RIKEN (Visiting Researcher, etc.) based on the agreement with the CBS hosting laboratory may be provided with payment for accommodation and travel expenses for business trip to CBS to perform the approved research project in accordance with RIKEN’s regulations. The maximum amount of payment for accommodation and travel expenses is 500,000 JPY per year.
- Research funding for the current fiscal year must not be carried over to the next fiscal year.
Number of projects to be approved
Two to three projects are scheduled to be determined for the first year (FY2023)
How to apply and submission
Prepare the following documents in either Japanese or English, then submit it using the Online Application Form.
- Document 1, Items 1-6: Download the prescribed application form and submit in PDF format.
- Document 2, Items 7-9: Any style of form is acceptable. Combine all pages in one file (up to five pages) and submit it in PDF format.
- Document 3, Items 10 and 11: Any style of form and any number of the pages are acceptable. Combine all pages in one PDF file for submission.
- Research project name
- Applicant name, affiliation, position, and contact information (the applicant must be the research representative of the Applicant side)
- Name of the PI at CBS hosting laboratory and research representative of CBS
- List of research members (both Applicant side and CBS hosting side)
- Preparation status (including specific details about advance coordination meetings with the hosting lab), importance of collaboration and impact
- Requested amount of Co-Creation Laboratory research funding and its usage breakdown
- Purpose and outline of research project
- Research background
- Research plan (each fiscal year’s research plan should be provided for the entire three years, including research allocation of responsibilities for both Applicant side and CBS hosting side)
- Applicant’s research career (education starting from undergraduate, positions held, awards, etc.)
- Applicant’s major research achievements (papers and publications)
October 30, 2022
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
- The applicant's organization is required to enter into a collaborative research agreement with RIKEN in the format specified by RIKEN. The agreement will be renewed every fiscal year. In case the researchers are participating from different organizations, a multi-party agreement will be executed among all participating organizations and RIKEN.
- Inventions made by researchers of both RIKEN and the collaborating party shall be jointly owned by RIKEN and the collaborating party.
- The representative must submit a research report at the end of each fiscal year.
- Promptly submit an accounting report on the usage of the provided research funding at the end of the fiscal year.
- There is a possibility that the approved research project members will be able to use the shared space for Co-Creation Laboratories (TBD).
- Handling of personal information: All submitted documents will be strictly managed in accordance with RIKEN Personal Information Protection Regulations and will be used only for the purpose of this application review. Such personal information will not be disclosed, transferred, or loaned to any third party without justifiable grounds. Please note that application documents will not be returned.
Co-Creation Laboratory Secretariat
kyosolab_saiyo[at]ml.riken.jp (replace [at] with @)