Application guidelines for the Collaboration Research for Development of Techniques in Brain Science Database Field
Mar. 6, 2019
Purposes of the Collaboration Research
Development of a wide range of technologies that promote the installation and use of databases in the field of brain science. A vast amount of diverse data accumulates in the brain science research. While the importance of constructing large scale database on brain science and of the brain science research utilizing them is pointed out, they are practically quite undeveloped fields, and few researchers are involved. To promote research in this field and foster researchers involved in the research, RIKEN Center for Brain Science (hereinafter referred to as RIKEN CBS) will set up a collaboration research system to develop database related technologies in the field of brain science with researchers in a wide range of fields.
Examples of target study
- Development of standard data format of function data
- Development of 3D brain structure reconstruction technology from image data
- Development of brain atlas creation technology
- Development of functional simulation technology using large scale data
- Development of large scale data analysis technology
- Development of search system technology across multiple databases
- Researchers working in research institutions, outside RIKEN, in Japan can apply. RIKEN will sign the contract for research collaboration with the representative researcher’s institution in a specified format by RIKEN.
- In case that the application from a research group consisted of Professor a (representative researcher) and Professor b both from University A is accepted, RIKEN and University A will sign a two-party contract for research collaboration.
- In case that the application from a research group consisted of Professor a from University A and Professor b from Univeristy B is accpted, RIKEN, University A and University B will sign a three-party contract for research collaboration.
- Research outcomes from this collaboration research will be in principle shared between the institution of the representative researcher and RIKEN.
- The representative of each research will submit a report at the end of the fiscal year and present results at the report meeting.
- Report on the use of collaborative research expenses etc at the end of the fiscal year.
- Select cooperative research partners for each year. However, it is possible to apply for researchers adopted in the previous year. If results are remarkable, we will consider increasing the amount of aid from the second year.
- When using data owned by RIKEN CBS for technical development, you must apply after acquiring the agreement of the data owning group.
- We do not support experiments for data acquisition or construction of databases themselves.
Collaborative research expenses in 2019FY
Up to 2.5 million yen per case (including overhead if it is required), up to 8 cases
Describe the following items, make it a pdf file, and submit it to cbs_db_appli [at] ml.riken.jp by e-mail attachment (Please replace “[at]” with “@”.). Total of 6 (A4). English.
- Subject title
- Name, affiliation, phone number, and email and mail addresses of the representative
- Development plan
- Preparation status
- Research expenses requirements and usage
- Academic background since undergraduate and major work experience of the representative
- Main achievements of the representative since 2014, including journal and book publications, opened software, and etc.
May 6, 2019, 10 pm
cbs_db_appli[at]ml.riken.jp (Please replace “[at]” with “@”.)
Application for Collaboration Research for Brain Science Database Technology Development,
Office of the Center Director,
RIKEN Center for Brain Science