We focus on the causal relationship between perception and neural activity at the single-cell, micro-circuit and network levels
Masanori Murayama, Ph.D.
Team Leader, Haptic Perception and Cognitive Physiology
masanori.murayama [at] riken.jp
Little is known about how neurons integrate feedback and feed forward information for animal behavior. To understand it, we focus on the causal relationship between behavior and neural activity at the single-cell, micro-circuit and network levels. We use multidisciplinary techniques including 2-photon microscopy, fiberoptic imaging, macro-brain imaging, optogenetic techniques and electrophysiological recordings, in awake and anesthetized animals. We are also interested in developing new techniques to discover novel neural activities that can be used for understanding brain functions and animal behavior.
Main Research Field
Related Research Fields
- Miyamoto D, Hirai D, Fung CC, Inutsuka A, Odagawa M, Suzuki T, Boehringer R, Adaikkan C, Matsubara C, Matsuki N, Fukai T, McHugh TJ, Yamanaka A, Murayama M.:
"Top-down cortical input during NREM sleep consolidates perceptual memory"
Science, 352(6291):1315-8. (2016).
- Hirasawa N., Yamada K., and Murayama M.:
"Brief hind paw stimulation is sufficient to induce delayed somatosensory discrimination learning in C57BL/6 mice."
Behavioural Brain Research, Volume 301, 15 March 2016, Pages 102–109
- Suzuki T., and Murayama M.:
"Craniotomy for cortical voltage-sensitive dye imaging in mice"
Bio-protocol, Vol 6, Iss 3, Feb 05, 2016
- Miyamoto D, Murayama M.:
"The fiber-optic imaging and manipulation of neural activity during animal behavior."
Neurosci Res. 2015 Sep 30. pii: S0168-0102(15)00228-X.
- Manita S, Suzuki T, Homma C, Matsumoto T, Odagawa M, Yamada K, Ota K, Matsubara C, Inutsuka A, Sato M, Ohkura M, Yamanaka A, Yanagawa Y, Nakai J, Hayashi Y, Larkum ME, Murayama M.:
"A Top-Down Cortical Circuit for Accurate Sensory Perception."
Neuron. 2015 Jun 3;86(5):1304-16.
- Takekawa T, Ota K, Murayama M, Fukai T.:
"Spike detection from noisy neural data in linear-probe recordings."
Eur J Neurosci. 2014 Jun;39(11):1943-50.
- Lucy M.Palmer, Masanori Murayama, Matthew E. Larkum.:
"Inhibitory Regulation of Dendritic Activity in vivo."
Front Neural Circuits. 2012;6:26, 2012
- Lucy M.Palmer, Jan M.Schulz, Sean C.Murphy, Debora Ledergerber, Masanori Murayama, Matthew E. Larkum.:
"The Cellular Basis of GABAb-Mediated Interhemispheric Inhibition"
Science 24;335(6071):989-93, 2012
- Masanori Murayama and Matthew Larkum.:
"Fiber-Optic Calcium Monitoring of Dendritic Activity In Vivo"
Cold Spring Harbor Protocols 1;2012(2):218-25, 2012
- H. Lütcke*, M. Murayama*, T. Hahn, D.J. Margolis, S. Astori, S.M.A. Borgloh, W. Göbel, Y. Yang, W. Tang, S.: Kügler, R. Sprengel, T. Nagai, A. Miyawaki, M.E. Larkum, F. Helmchen, M.T. Hasan (* Equal contribution).:
"Optical recording of neuronal activity with a genetically-encoded calcium indicator in anesthetized and freely moving mice"
Frontiers in Neural Circuits, 4;9