Atsushi Takata, M.D., Ph.D.
Team Leader, Molecular Pathology of Psychiatric Disorders
atsushi.takata [at] riken.jp
Neuropsychiatric disorders such as schizophrenia, mood disorders, and autism spectrum disorders are common disorders severely affecting the quality and quantity of the lives of the patients and their families. Despite many studies, their fundamental biological basis is still unknown, and even today, "psychopathology" depends not on the pathological change of the responsible organ, but on the observation and description of symptoms and their interpretation (and generally it is more pragmatic). On the other hand, due to the recent advances in molecular biology, molecular genetics, and computational science, now it has become possible to search the "pathology" of neuropsychiatric disorders at the resolution of molecules or single-base DNA sequences. In our laboratory, we take full advantage of the cutting-edge technologies to elucidate the molecular pathology of neuropsychiatric disorders, aiming to redefine their "pathology" and develop new diagnostic, therapeutic, and/or preventive procedures designed based on the biological understanding of the disorders.
Main Research Field
Medicine, dentistry, and pharmacy
Related Research Fields
- * Mukai J, Cannavo E, Crabtree GW, Sun ZY, Diamantopoulou A, Thakur P, Chang CY, Cai YF, Lomvardas S, Takata A, Xu B, Gogos JA
"Recapitulation and Reversal of Schizophrenia-Related Phenotypes in Setd1a-Deficient Mice"
Neuron 104, 471-487. 2019
- * Takata A, Nakashima M, Saitsu H, Mizuguchi T, Mitsuhashi S, Takahashi Y, Okamoto N, Osaka H, Nakamura K, Tohyama J, Haginoya K, Takeshita S, Kuki I, Okanishi T, Goto T, Sasaki M, Sakai Y, Miyake N, Miyatake S, Tsuchida N, Iwama K, Minase G, Sekiguchi F, Fujita A, Imagawa E, Koshimizu E, Uchiyama Y, Hamanaka K, Ohba C, Itai T, Aoi H, Saida K, Sakaguchi T, Den K, Takahashi R, Ikeda H, Yamaguchi T, Tsukamoto K, Yoshitomi S, Oboshi T, Imai K, Kimizu T, Kobayashi Y, Kubota M, Kashii H, Baba S, Iai M, Kira R, Hara M, Ohta M, Miyata Y, Miyata R, Takanashi J, Matsui J, Yokochi K, Shimono M, Amamoto M, Takayama R, Hirabayashi S, Aiba K, Matsumoto H, Nabatame S, Shiihara T, Kato M, Matsumoto N
"Comprehensive analysis of coding variants highlights genetic complexity in developmental and epileptic encephalopathy"
Nat. Commun. 10, 2506. 2019
- * Takata A, Miyake N, Tsurusaki Y, Fukai R, Miyatake S, Koshimizu E, Kushima I, Okada T, Morikawa M, Uno Y, Ishizuka K, Nakamura K, Tsujii M, Yoshikawa T, Toyota T, Okamoto N, Hiraki Y, Hashimoto R, Yasuda Y, Saitoh S, Ohashi K, Sakai Y, Ohga S, Hara T, Kato M, Nakamura K, Ito A, Seiwa C, Shirahata E, Osaka H, Matsumoto A, Takeshita S, Tohyama J, Saikusa T, Matsuishi T, Nakamura T, Tsuboi T, Kato T, Suzuki T, Saitsu H, Nakashima M, Mizuguchi T, Tanaka F, Mori N, Ozaki N, Matsumoto N
"Integrative Analyses of De Novo Mutations Provide Deeper Biological Insights into Autism Spectrum Disorder" Cell Reports 22, 734-747. 2018
- Takata A, Matsumoto N, Kato T
"Genome-wide identification of splicing QTLs in the human brain and their enrichment among schizophrenia-associated loci"
Nat. Commun. 8, 14519. 2017
- Kataoka M, Matoba N, Sawada T, Kazuno AA, Ishiwata M, Fujii K, Matsuo K, Takata A, Kato T
"Exome sequencing for bipolar disorder points to roles of de novo loss-of-function and protein-altering mutations"
Mol. Psychiatr. 21, 885-893. 2016
- * Takata A, Ionita-Laza I, Gogos JA, Xu B, Karayiorgou M
"De Novo Synonymous Mutations in Regulatory Elements Contribute to the Genetic Etiology of Autism and Schizophrenia"
Neuron 89, 940-947. 2016
- Kasahara T, Takata A, Kato TM, Kubota-Sakashita M, Sawada T, Kakita A, Mizukami H, Kaneda D, Ozawa K, Kato T
"Depression-like episodes in mice harboring mtDNA deletions in paraventricular thalamus"
Mol. Psychiatr. 21, 39-48. 2016
- * Takata A, Xu B, Ionita-Laza I, Roos JL, Gogos JA, Karayiorgou M
"Loss-of-Function Variants in Schizophrenia Risk and SETD1A as a Candidate Susceptibility Gene"
Neuron 82, 773-780. 2014
- Takata A, Iwayama Y, Fukuo Y, Ikeda M, Okochi T, Maekawa M, Toyota T, Yamada K, Hattori E, Ohnishi T, Toyoshima M, Ujike H, Inada T, Kunugi H, Ozaki N, Nanko S, Nakamura K, Mori N, Kanba S, Iwata N, Kato T, Yoshikawa T
"A Population-Specific Uncommon Variant in GRIN3A Associated with Schizophrenia"
Biol. Psychiatry 73, 532-539. 2013
- Takata A, Kato M, Nakamura M, Yoshikawa T, Kanba S, Sano A, Kato T
"Exome sequencing identifies a novel missense variant in RRM2B associated with autosomal recessive progressive external ophthalmoplegia"
Genome Biol. 12, R92. 2011