認知睡眠学理研白眉研究チーム 研究員または特別研究員募集 (W22138)
脳神経科学研究センター 認知睡眠学理研白眉研究チーム（理研白眉研究チームリーダー：玉置 應子）
Computer Science, Biology, Medical Science, Interdisciplinary, Other
Why do we think and behave the way we do? Accumulating behavioral evidence suggests that the sleeping brain plays a critical role in our thoughts and actions. However, little is known about the ways the sleeping brain accomplishes this work. In the Cognitive Somnology lab, we develop and integrate various neuroimaging (including 3T and 7T MRI), physiological (polysomnography including EEG), and psychophysics techniques to elucidate the fundamental role of the sleeping brain in human cognition and behavior.
Job title and job description
Job title, available positions
Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher, 1 position
Carries out research and other work in accordance with team research themes. Basically defined as those with a doctoral degree more than 5 years.
Carries out research and other work in accordance with team research themes under the direction of supervisors. Basically defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
We seek highly motivated candidates with an avid interest in the lab’s research themes. The successful candidate will carry out research and other work related to human sleep, behavior, and cognition, using various neuroimaging, physiological, and psychophysics techniques.
- The candidates should have a Ph.D. or expect to receive a Ph.D. before the date of employment
- The candidates should have research experiences and publications in a relevant field (e.g. psychology, sleep, neuroscience, engineering, computer science, statistics)
- The candidates should have research experiences using EEG and/or MRI measurements and analysis in human subjects
- The candidates should be proficient in a programming language (e.g. Matlab, R, Python)
- The candidates should be highly motivated in the team’s research topics
- The candidates should be proactive, have good communication skills, and be able to cooperate with the relevant personnel to fulfill the tasks
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to the end of the fiscal year in 2027 (2028/3/31).
- RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013, for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date). However, employees who have previously worked at RIKEN may be subject to different rules for the period of fixed-term employment. Please refer to “RIKEN employment duration for fixed-term employees” for more details if necessary.).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be a monthly salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. The monthly base salary will be 295,100 JPY for Postdoctoral Researcher, and 350,300 JPY for Research Scientist, as of April 1, 2023.
Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
The approximate amount of monthly salary at the time of employment:
The monthly salary including discretionary work allowance at the time of employment will be 392,000JPY or more for Research Scientist, and 329,000JPY or more for Postdoctoral Researcher, which are listed with the lowest monthly salary.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
Smoking is not permitted on site except in designated smoking areas. Smoking will be entirely prohibited on site from April 2024.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Application and required documents
- Complete CV (RIKEN CV: WORD(56KB) or EXCEL(159KB) , with photo and email address)
*Write the RIKEN job ad number “W22138”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN job ad number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- List of research achievement and publications
- List of external funding awarded (including fellowships)
- Summary of previous studies
- Description of reason for applying for the post, future research plan, and self-appeal
- A letter of recommendation from the current supervisor (If unavailable, a letter from a substitute reference will be acceptable.）
*Please specify the referee’s contact information (Name, affiliation, job title, phone number, and email address)
- Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, “Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR” with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
How to apply
The above documents should be submitted via email.
Email: masako.tamaki [at] riken.jp (Replace [at] with @ )
Recommendation letter must be directly submitted from the referee via email.
Note: All the submitted documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling personal data
Selection will be made based on application screening, research talk, and interviews.
Start of Employment
April 1st, 2023 (Negotiable)
RIKEN Center for Brain Science
Cognitive Somnology RIKEN Hakubi Research Team
Email: masako.tamaki [at] riken.jp (Replace [at] with @ )
For inquiries, please send an email.