Neural Circuits and Computations Unit (Unit Leader: Louis Kang)
Computational neuroscience, Theoretical neuroscience, Machine learning, Artificial Intelligence, Neural networks
Our Unit works in computational neuroscience. We study how computations performed by circuits in the brain produce neural phenomena and cognitive functions. The Unit is particularly interested in the hippocampal region and its role in memory, spatial representation, and neurological diseases. We employ a broad range of theoretical techniques, from mathematical analysis to machine learning, and we work closely with experimental data. Please visit https://louiskang.group for more information.
Job title and description
Postdoctoral Researcher or Research Scientist, 1 position
The successful candidate will work towards understanding seizures in the hippocampus by training neural networks, performing mathematical derivations, and/or analyzing experimental data. The ideal candidate will use the Unit’s GPU server to model epileptic phenomena in recurrent neural networks trained to perform different tasks. The Unit supports the scientific curiosity of its members and would encourage the concurrent development of independent research topics and/or collaborations.
We seek outstanding researchers with a strong theoretical/computational background and an avid interest in neuroscience. The candidate should possess a doctoral degree in computer science, physics, engineering, neuroscience, psychology, mathematics, statistics, or a related field. The ideal candidate has broad experience in neural network design, training, and testing. Candidates from underrepresented groups in science are vigorously encouraged to apply.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198）
Salary and benefits
- A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of the end of the fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 7 years of employment. (Maximum employment duration for a Postdoctoral Researcher is 5 years )
- RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013, for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be internationally competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available) .
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote Gender Equity Program, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Application and required documents
- Cover letter stating your reasons for applying for the position
- Complete CV (with photo and email address)
WORD(56KB) or EXCEL(159KB)
*Write down in the notes section of your CV the number written next to the title of the job position (e.g. W21322).
- Two recommendation letters, preferably including one from your current or most recent supervisor
- Copies of or hyperlinks to 1–2 noteworthy publications/manuscripts that you have (co-)authored
- External funding awarded
- Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, “Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR” with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website: https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection_en
How to apply
Send the application by email in PDF format to louis.kang[at]riken.jp. Recommendation letters must be emailed directly from the reference to louis.kang[at]riken.jp.
Open until the position is filled
Handling personal data
Application screening, research talk, and interview by selected applicants.
Start of employment
As early as possible
RIKEN Center for Brain Science
Neural Circuits and Computations Unit
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Email: louis.kang[at]riken.jp (Replace [at] with @ )
For inquiries, please send an email.