統合計算脳科学連携部門 脳画像解析開発ユニット 研究員または特別研究員募集 (W20294)
脳神経科学研究センター 統合計算脳科学連携部門 脳画像解析開発ユニット（ユニットリーダー：Henrik Skibbe）
Deep Learning , Image Analysis, Machine Learning, Image Processing, Biomedical Image Processing, Artificial Neural Networks
As part of the interdisciplinary Brain/MINDS project (https://brainminds.jp/en/), the Brain Image Analysis Unit develops new techniques to analyze multimodal marmoset brain image data, such as high-resolution two-photon microscopy images, DTI, or resting-state functional MRI.
Machine learning techniques such as deep learning are integrated into new algorithms to improve state-of-the-art processing and analysis of brain imaging data.
Emphasis is placed on developing methods for image registration, image stitching, tracking of neurons and axon fiber bundles, detection, and segmentation of structures and denoising, enhancement, and visualization of images.
Job title and description
Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher Position, 1 position
The selected candidate will join the interdisciplinary Brain/MINDS project, and as a member of the unit will contribute to the development and implementation of image processing and image analysis techniques with a focus on two-photon microscopy (marmoset) brain image data. We are seeking candidates who enjoy developing deep learning algorithms for image registration/reconstruction, image segmentation, or related applications. Visit our website https://bia.riken.jp/jobs.php.html for further details.
The candidate should have or be expecting to receive a Ph.D., by the time of employment, in related fields and have
- relevant research skills and experience in developing deep learning techniques for the analysis/processing of images, demonstrated by high-quality publications.
- expertise in biological/medical/neural image processing, image registration, computer vision, machine learning, optimization, or similar fields, is an advantage.
- good English communication skills
- proficiency in a programming language (such as C++/Python/JS)
- good communication skills and ability to cooperate
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198）
Salary and benefits
- A one-year fixed-term employment contract to a maximum of the end of the fiscal year 2023(March 31, 2024) with annual evaluation.
- RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available)
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equity Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- Complete CV (with photo and email address)
WORD(56KB) or EXCEL(159KB)
*Write the RIKEN job ad number “W20294”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN job ad number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- List of research achievement
- External funding awarded
- Summary of research experience to date
- Reason for applying for the post (personal strengths, motivation, future research plans, career aspirations, etc.)
- A letter of recommendation by current supervisor (If a letter by current supervisor is not possible, a letter by a third party)
- Research Plan (Optional)
- Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, “Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR” with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website: https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection_en
How to apply
Send the PDF formatted application documents by email attachment to
Dr. Henrik Skibbe, Brain Image Analysis Unit
bia-jobs[at]ml.riken.jp (Replace [at] with @)
The recommendation letters should be sent directly from the recommenders by email attachment to the above email address.
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling personal data
Screening with application documents, and then interviews and oral presentations by selected applicants
Start of employment
June, 2021 (negotiable)
Contact information/Send application to
Dr. Henrik Skibbe,
RIKEN Center for Brain Science, Brain Image Analysis Unit
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Email: bia-jobs[at]ml.riken.jp (Replace [at] with @)
Please send an email in English.