Laboratory for Protein Conformation Diseases, Center for Brain Science (Team leader：Motomasa Tanaka)
Biology, Medical Science
Protein Misfolding, Amyloid, Neurodegenerative Disease, Neurodevelopmental Disorders, Psychiatric Disease
Neurodegenerative Disease, Neurodevelopmental Disorder, Psychiatric Disease
Job title and description
Job title, available positions
Research Scientist, one position
The applicant will be assigned to an appropriate position based on his/her ability, aptitude, etc.
The applicant will study on neurodegenerative disease, neurodevelopmental disorders or psychiatric disease.
The candidate should possess a doctoral degree in a related field and research experiences of molecular biology experiments using cultured neurons and mouse brains. Experiences of bioinformatic analysis will be advantageous.
Branch and address
RIKEN Center for Brain Science
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198）
Salary and benefits
- A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of the end of the fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 7 yearsof employment.
- RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available)
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equity Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- Complete CV (with photo and email address) WORD(56KB) or EXCEL(159KB)
*Write the RIKEN job ad number “W19221”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN job ad number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- List of research achievement and publications
- Summary of previous studies (A4, 2-3 pages) and self-appeal for future studies (A4, 2-3 pages)
- More than two letters of recommendation (including one from the current supervisor, If available)
- Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, “Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR” with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website: https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection_en
How to apply
Please make inquiries to the contact address listed below, then send the PDF formatted application by email at the same contact address.
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Application must arrive by January 10, 2020
Handling personal data
Application screening, interview and oral presentation by selected applicants
Start of employment
After April 1st, 2020 (Negotiable)
Contact information/Send application to
RIKEN Center for Brain Science, Laboratory for Protein Conformation Diseases
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
For inquiries, please send an email.