Brain Functional Dynamics Collaboration Laboratory, Center for Brain Science (Team leader：Masanori Matsuzaki)
Mathmatical Science, Computational Science, Biology, Medical Science, Interdisciplinary
Two-photon calcium imaging, Marmoset, Neuroscience
We develop cognitive tasks for the common marmoset. We use two-photon and one-photon calcium imaging methods to measure the dynamics of the neuronal activity in the marmoset frontal cortex during the task performance (Ebina et al., Nat Commun 9, 1879, 2018). We also use optogenetics and chemogenetics to manipulate the neuronal activity during the task performance (Ebina et al., PNAS 116, 22844, 2019) to reveal the causal relationship between the task-relevant activity and behaviors.
Job title and description
Job title, available positions
Research Scientist, 1 position
The candidate will develop cognitive tasks such as working-memory task and social behavior task for the common marmoset, and also conduct two-photon calcium imaging of neuronal activity during the task performance.
The candidate should possess a doctoral degree in a related field. We seek the candidate who has proficiency in programming (e.g., MATLAB), and has experience of in vivo calcium imaging or electrophysiological recording from rodents or non-human primates. Communication skill in English is also required.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198）
Salary and benefits
- A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of the end of the fiscal year 2023 (March 31, 2024), with annual evaluation.
- RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available)
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equity Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- Complete CV WORD(56KB) or EXCEL(159KB)
*Write the RIKEN job ad number “W19201”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN job ad number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- List of research achievement and publications
- List of acquired skills
- Reasons for applying for the post (personal strengths, motivation, etc.)
- A letter of recommendation from the current supervisor (If unavailable, a letter from a substitute reference will be acceptable.）
- Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, “Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR” with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website: https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection_en
How to apply
Send the PDF formatted application by email to masanori.matsuzaki [at]riken.jp
(Recommendation letters must be emailed directly from the reference to masanori.matsuzaki [at]riken.jp)
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling personal data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Start of employment
As early as possible
Contact information/Send application to
RIKEN Center for Brain Science
Brain Functional Dynamics Collaboration Laboratory
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Tel: +81 (0)48-467-5274 (Ext. 7370) / FAX: +81 (0)48-467-6379
Email: masanori.matsuzaki [at]riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.