Our goal is to delineate neural circuit dynamics from which high-level cognition emerges in primates.
Yasushi Miyashita, Ph.D.
Team Leader, Cognition Circuit Dynamics
yashishi.miyashita [at] riken.jp
Introspection on our own memory states (“metamemory”) makes us feel retrospective. This self-reflective mental process requires a higher level of cognition about our own cognition. While the neural basis of memory execution (i.e., encoding, maintenance, and retrieval) has been revealed as a multi-tiered brain-wide network in humans and animals, the neural mechanism of metamemory is unexplored. On the basis of our discoveries of the memory neurons in the temporal cortex and the top-down signal from the prefrontal cortex to the memory neurons, our research seeks to understand how metamemory is implemented in the brain and how our retrospection becomes possible.
Main Research Field
Related Research Fields
Biological Sciences / Biology / Medicine, dentistry, and pharmacy
- Tamura, K., Takeda, M., Setsuie, R., Tsubota, T., Hirabayashi, T., Miyamoto, K. and Miyashita, Y.:
"Conversion of object identity to object-general semantic value in the primate temporal cortex."
Science 357, 687-692, 2017
- Miyamoto, K., Osada, T., Setsuie, R., Takeda, M., Tamura, K., Adachi, Y., and Miyashita, Y.:
"Causal neural network of metamemory for retrospection in primates."
Science 355, 188-193, 2017
- Hirabayashi, T., Takeuchi, D., Tamura, K., and Miyashita, Y.:
"Microcircuits for Hierarchical Elaboration of Object Coding Across Primate Temporal Areas."
Science 341, 191-195, 2013
- Takeuchi, D., Hirabayashi, T., Tamura, K., and Miyashita, Y.:
"Reversal of interlaminar signal between sensory and memory processing in monkey temporal cortex."
Science 331, 1443-1447, 2011.
- Miyashita, Y.:
"Cognitive memory:cellular and network machineries and their top-down control."
Science 306, 435-440, 2004.
- Ohbayashi, M., Ohki, K. and Miyashita, Y.:
"Conversion of working memory to motor sequence in the monkey premotor cortex."
Science 301, 233-236, 2003.
- Nakahara, K., Hayashi, T., Konishi, S. and Miyashita, Y.:
"Functional MRI of macaque monkeys performing a cognitive set-shifting task."
Science 295, 1532-1536, 2002.
- Naya, Y., Yoshida, M.and Miyashita, Y.:
"Backward spreading of memory retrieval signal in the primate temporal cortex."
Science 291 ,661-664 ,2001.
- Tomita, H., Ohbayashi, M., Nakahara, K., Hasegawa, I. and Miyashita, Y.:
Top-down signal originating from the prefrontal cortex for memory retrieval."
Nature 401,699-703, 1999.
- Hasegawa, I., Fukushima, T., Ihara, T. and Miyashita, Y.:
"Callosal window between prefrontal cortices :cognitive interaction to retrieve long-term memory."
Science 281, 814-818, 1998.