Motoko Maekawa, M.D., Ph.D.
CDP-YCI: CDP: Career Development Program - Young Chief Investigator
The Developmental Origin of Health and Diseases (DOHaD) hypothesis is that environmental factors during developmental stage give rise to the risk for various diseases after growth, typically the risk for metabolic syndromes. Based on our previous research, we conjecture that this hypothesis is applicable to psychiatric disorders. I am performing further studies to better understand the pathogenesis of psychiatric disorders through multifaceted approaches using model animals and human clinical samples, by particularly focusing on the DOHaD hypothesis. I hope that these studies will lead to the development of biomarkers for psychiatric disorders and development of novel treatments and prevention methods for psychiatric disorders.
Main Research Field
Related Research Fields
- Wada Y, *Maekawa M (corresponding author), Ohnishi T, Balan S, Matsuoka S, Iwamoto K, Iwayama Y, Ohba H, Watanabe A, Hisano Y, Nozaki Y, Toyota T, Shimogori T, Itokawa M, Kobayashi T, Yoshikawa T.
"Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor α as a novel therapeutic target for schizophrenia."
EBioMedicine. 62:103130, 2020.
- *Maekawa M (corresponding author), Ohnishi T, Toyoshima M, Hamazaki K, Takagai S, Tsuchiya KJ, Nakamura K, Iwata Y, Nara T, Iwayama Y, Toyota T, Shimamoto-Mitsuyama C, Nozaki Y, Ohba H, Watanabe A, Hisano Y, Esaki K, Balan S, Wada Y, Tsujii M, Mori N, Matsuzaki H, Yoshikawa T.
"A potential role of fatty acid binding protein 4 in the pathophysiology of autism spectrum disorder."
Brain Commun. 2(2):fcaa145, 2020
- Ide M, Ohnishi T, Toyoshima M, Balan S, Maekawa M, Shimamoto-Mitsuyama C, Iwayama Y, Ohba H, Watanabe A, Ishii T, Shibuya N, Kimura Y, Hisano Y, Murata Y, Hara T, Morikawa M, Hashimoto K, Nozaki Y, Toyota T, Wada Y, Tanaka Y, Kato T, Nishi A, Fujisawa S, Okano H, Itokawa M, Hirokawa N, Kunii Y, Kakita A, Yabe H, Iwamoto K, Meno K, Katagiri T, Dean B, Uchida K, Kimura H, Yoshikawa T.
"Excess hydrogen sulfide and polysulfides production underlies a schizophrenia pathophysiology."
EMBO Mol. Med., e10695 (2019)
- Ohnishi T, Balan S, Toyoshima M, Maekawa M, Ohba H, Watanabe A, Iwayama Y, Fujita Y, Tan Y, Hisano Y, Shimamoto-Mitsuyama C, Nozaki Y, Esaki K, Nagaoka A, Matsumoto J, Hino M, Mataga N, Hayashi-Takagi A, Hashimoto K, Kunii Y, Kakita A, Yabe H, ※Yoshikawa T: Investigation of betaine as a novel psychotherapeutic for schizophrenia.
"Investigation of betaine as a novel psychotherapeutic for schizophrenia."
EBioMedicine, 45, 432-446 (2019)
- *Maekawa M (corresponding author), Watanabe A, Iwayama Y, Kimura T, Hamazaki K, Balan S, Ohba H, Hisano Y, Nozaki Y, Ohnishi T, Toyoshima M, Shimamoto C, Iwamoto K, Bundo M, Osumi N, Takahashi E, Takashima A, Yoshikawa T.
"Polyunsaturated fatty acid deficiency during neurodevelopment in mice models the prodromal state of schizophrenia through epigenetic changes in nuclear receptor genes."
Transl Psychiatry. 7, e1229 (2017)
- *Hamazaki K, Maekawa M, Toyota T, Iwayama Y, Dean B, Hamazaki T, Yoshikawa T.
"Fatty acid composition and fatty acid binding protein expression in the postmortem frontal cortex of patients with schizophrenia: A case-control study."
Schizophr Res. 171(1-3): 225-32 (2016)
- Maekawa M, Iwayama Y, Ohnishi T, Toyoshima M, Shimamoto C, Hisano Y, Toyota T, Balan S, Matsuzaki H, Iwata Y, Takagai S, Yamada K, Ota M, Fukuchi S, Okada Y, Akamatsu W, Tsujii M, Kojima N, Owada Y, Okano H, Mori N, Yoshikawa T.
"Investigation of the fatty acid transporter-encoding genes SLC27A3 and SLC27A4 in autism."
Sci Rep. 5: 16239 (2015)
- Maekawa M, Yamada K, Toyoshima M, Ohnishi T, Iwayama Y, Shimamoto C, Toyota T, Nozaki Y, Balan S, Matsuzaki H, Iwata Y, Suzuki K, Miyashita M, Kikuchi M, Kato M, Okada Y, Akamatsu W, Mori N, Owada Y, Itokawa M, Okano H, *Yoshikawa T.
"Utility of scalp hair follicles as a novel source of biomarker genes for psychiatric illnesses."
Biol Psychiatry. 78(2): 116-25 (2015)
- *Maekawa M (corresponding author), Ohnishi T, Hashimoto K, Watanabe A, Iwayama Y, Ohba H, Hattori E, Yamada K, Yoshikawa T.
"Analysis of strain-dependent prepulse inhibition points to a role for Shmt1 (SHMT1) in mice and in schizophrenia."
J Neurochem. 115(6): 1374-85 (2010)
- *Maekawa M (corresponding author), Iwayama Y, Arai R, Nakamura K, Ohnishi T, Toyota T, Tsujii M, Okazaki Y, Osumi N, Owada Y, Mori N, Yoshikawa T.
"Polymorphism screening of brain-expressed FABP7, 5 and 3 genes and association studies in autism and schizophrenia in Japanese subjects."
J Hum Genet. 55(2): 127-30 (2010)