How do living organisms adapt to the environmental situations? Is it possible to apply the biological method to robot control?
Shingo Shimoda, Ph.D.
Unit Leader, Intelligent Behavior Control Unit, BTCC
shingo.shimoda [at] riken.jp
The amazing ability of living organisms to adapt to unknown situations is so unique that we cannot understand it through the conventional model-based control strategy. Our approach is to find the design principle of biological computational systems and apply it to artificial controllers. Using bio-mimetic controllers, we will work towards developing controllers that can learn autonomous behavior through the interaction of robot bodies and unknown environments.
Main Research Fields
Interdisciplinary Science & Engineering
Related Research Fields
Complex Systems / Engineering
- Alejandro Lopez Rincon and Shingo Shimoda.:
"The Inverse Problem in Electroencephalography using the Bidomain Model of Electrical Activity"
Journal of Neuroscience Method, Vol. 274, pp.94-105, 2016
- Hiroshi Yamasaki and Shingo Shimoda.:
"Spatiotemporal modular organization of muscle torques for sit-to-stand movements"
Journal of Biomechanics, Vol. 49, Issue 14, pp.3268-3274, 2016
- Fady Alnajjar, Matti Itkonen, Vincent Berenz, Maxime Tournier, Chikara Nagai and Shingo Shimoda.:
"Sensory Synergy as Environmental Input Integration"
Front. Neurosci., Vol. 8, Article 436, 2015
- Tytus Wojtara, Fady Shibata Alnajjar, Shingo Shimoda and Hidenori Kimura.:
"Muscle Synergy Stability and Human Balance Maintenance"
Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation, 11:129, 2014
- Mitsuhiro Hayashibe and Shingo Shimoda.:
"Synergetic Motor Control Paradigm for Optimizing Energy Efficiency of Multijoint Reaching via Tacit Learning"
Front. Comput. Neurosci., Vol. 8, Article 21, 2014
- Fady Shibata Alnajjar, Tytus Wojtara, Hidenori Kimura and Shingo Shimoda.:
"Muscle Synergy Space: Learning Model To Create an Optimal Muscle Synergy"
Front. Comput. Neurosci.Vol. 7, Article 136, 2013
- Shingo Shimoda, Yuki Yoshihara and Hidenori Kimura.:
"Adaptability of tacit learning in bipedal locomotion"
IEEE Transactions on Autonomous Mental Development, Vol. 5, No. 2. pp. 152-161, 2013
- Tytus Wojtara, Makoto Sasaki, Hitoshi Konosu, Masashi Yamashita, Shingo Shimoda, Fady ALNAJJAR and Hidenori Kimura.:
"Artificial Balancer - Supporting Device for Postural Refelex"
Gait and Posture, No.35, pp316-321, 2012
- Shingo Shimoda and Hidenori Kimura.:
"Bio-mimetic Approach to Tacit Learning based on Compound Control"
IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics-Part B, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp.77-90, 2010
- Tytus Wojtara, Masafumi Uchihara, Hideyuki Murayama, Shingo Shimoda, Satoshi Sakai, Hideo Fujimoto and Hidenori Kimura.:
"Human-Robot Collaboration in Precise Positioning of a Three-Dimensional Object"
Automatica, Vol.45, pp333-342, 2009
- Shingo Shimoda
- Unit Leader
- Hiroshi Yamasaki
- Research Scientist
- Alvaro Costa Garcia
- Research Scientist
- Matti Sakari Itkonen
- Technical Staff I
- Masayo Matsui