Functional and coonective map of marmoset neocortex
Tetsuo Yamamori, Ph.D.
Team Leader, Molecular Analysis of Higher Brain Function
tetsuo.yamamori [at] riken.jp
The neocortex is a unique structure in mammals and most evolved in primates including humans. We have characterized the genes selectively expressed in particular areas of the primate neocortex and found two groups of genes that are selectively expressed in the primary visual cortex (V1) and association areas. We then determined the functions of two V1-selectively expressed genes in macaque V1. We have also recently identified the mechanism that regulates the association-area-selective genes: Highly methylated promoters and the transcriptional regulation by MBD4. Functional analysis of the primate neocortex has led us to develop a system for manipulating the gene function in primates. To this end, we are going to construct mesoscopic connective and functional maps of the prefrontal cortex of the marmoset as part of the Brain/Mind project. We also aim to make axonal projection maps in the whole marmoset brain using tracers and reveal neuronal circuits in the areas developed in the primate such as the prefrontal cortex.
Related Research Fields
Complex systems / Biological Sciences
- Takaji, M., Takemoto, A., Yokoyama, C., Watakabe, A., Mizukami, H., Ozawa, K., Onoe, H., Nakamura, K., and Yamamori T:
"Distinct roles for primate caudate dopamine D1 and D2 receptors in visual discrimination learning revealed using shRNA knockdown."
Sci Rep, 6(35809.), (2016)
- Sadakane O, Masamizu Y, Watakabe A, Terada S, Ohtsuka M, Takaji M, Mizukami H, Ozawa K, Kawasaki H, Matsuzaki M, Yamamori T.:
"Long-Term Two-Photon Calcium Imaging of Neuronal Populations with Subcellular Resolution in Adult Non-human Primates."
Cell Rep. 3:1989-1999, 2015
- Sadakane O, Watakabe A, Ohtsuka M, Takaji M, Sasaki T, Kasai M, Isa T, Kato G, Nabekura J, Mizukami H, Ozawa K, Kawasaki H, Yamamori T.:
"In Vivo Two-Photon Imaging of Dendritic Spines in Marmoset Neocortex(1,2,3)."
- Watakabe A, Ohtsuka M, Kinoshita M, Takaji M, Isa K, Mizukami H, Ozawa K, Isa T, Yamamori T.:
"Comparative analyses of adeno-associated viral vector serotypes 1, 2, 5, 8 and 9 in marmoset, mouse and macaque cerebral cortex."
Neurosci Res. 93:144-157,2015
- * Eradath MK., Abe H. Matsumoto M, Matsumoto K. Tanaka K, Ichinohe, N.:
"Anatomical inputs to sulcal portions of areas 9m and 8Bm in the macaque monkey"
Frontiers in Neuroanatomy, 12 March 2015 | doi: 10.3389/fnana.2015.00030 (2015)
- * Hata K, Mizukami H, Sadakane O, Watakabe A, Ohtsuka M, Takaji M, Kinoshita M, Isa T, Ozawa K, Yamamori T.:
"DNA methylation and methyl-binding proteins control differential gene expression in distinct cortical areas of macaque monkey."
J Neurosci. 33:19704-19714. 2013.
- * Kinoshita M, Matsui R, Kato S, Hasegawa T, Kasahara H, Isa K, Watakabe A, Yamamori T, Nishimura Y, Alstermark B, Watanabe D, Kobayashi K, Isa T.:
"Genetic dissection of the circuit for hand dexterity in primates."
Nature. 487:235-238. 2012
- * Takahata T, Shukla R, Yamamori T, Kaas JH.:
"Differential expression patterns of striate cortex-enriched genes among Old World, New World, and prosimian primates."
Cereb Cortex. 22:2313-2321. 2012
- * Yamamori T.:
"Selective gene expression in regions of primate neocortex: implications for cortical specialization."
Prog Neurobiol. 94:201-222. 2012