Dec. 7, 2022
Technical Staff Position
Laboratory for Glia-Neuron Circuit Dynamics（W22214)
Laboratory for Glia-Neuron Circuit Dynamics, Center for Brain Science (Laboratory head：Jun Nagai)
Neuroscience,brain,glia,astrocyte,behavior,physiology, molecular biology,omics,live imaging,tool development
The lab’s mission is to discover fundamental mechanisms how the brain functions and malfunctions at molecular, cellular, circuit and behavioral levels by including “the other half” of the CNS; a type of glia called astrocytes, which tile the entire brain contacting neurons, synapses and other glia. By developing and utilizing genetic and optical tools, the team aims to unveil astrocyte contributions to adaptive and maladaptive animal behaviors for delivering insights on future therapeutics. https://cbs.riken.jp/en/faculty/j.nagai/
Job Title and Job Description
Job Title and Available Positions
Technical Staff I, 1 position
Technical staff I must provide technical supports independently to implement the lab missions.
The successful candidate will be expected to assist in running and analyzing experiments in at least one of following projects:
1. understanding mechanisms and in vivo consequences of astrocyte-neuron communications
3. unmasking molecular identity and response of astrocytes in relevance to adaptive behavior
Key qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree (Life/Natural sciences or engineering preferred) or equivalent experience and ability in the field.
- Applicants with demonstrated expertise and proven research ability in some of the followings will be most competitive: omics analysis, cell morphological analysis and molecular biology (including cloning).
- Proficiency both in Japanese and English is required.
- Work ethic and an ambition to succeed as a team
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198）
Salary and Benefits
- A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of the end of the fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 7 years of employment.
- RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be a monthly salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. The monthly base salary is 206,900 JPY as of April 1st 2023. The monthly base salary and variable salary are subject to change due to amendments to RIKEN regulations.
Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
The approximate amount of annual salary at the time of employment:
The monthly salary including discretionary work allowance at the time of employment will be 234,000 JPY or more.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
Smoking is not permitted on site except in designated smoking areas. Smoking will be entirely prohibited on site from April 2024.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
The Wako Campus has an on-site daycare, RIKEN Kids Wako. For details, please send an email to the HR at kids [at] riken.jp.
Application and Required Documents
- Complete CV (with photo and email address)
WORD(56KB) or EXCEL(159KB)
(*Write down in the notes section of your CV the number written next to the title of the job position (e.g. W22214)
- List of research achievement, publications and presentations
- Summary of research experience to date
- Reasons for applying for the post (personal strengths, motivation, future research plans, career aspirations, etc.)
- 1 letter of recommendation from the past or current supervisor
- Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, “Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR” with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website: https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection_en
How to apply
Please make inquiries to the contact address listed below, then send the PDF formatted application by email at the same contact address jun.nagai[at]riken.jp
(Recommendation letters must be emailed directly from the reference to jun.nagai[at]riken.jp)
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Until the position is filled
Handling personal data
Application screening, interview and oral presentation by selected applicants
Start of Employment
April 1, 2023 or later (negotiable)
Contact Information / Send application to
RIKEN RIKEN Center for Brain Science
Attn: Jun Nagai
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
For inquiries, please send an email.