Jan. 14, 2022
Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher Position
Cognitive Somnology RIKEN Hakubi Research Team（W21277)
Cognitive Somnology RIKEN Hakubi Research Team, Center for Brain Science (RIKEN Hakubi Team Leader：Masako Tamaki)
Computational Science,Computer Science, Biology, Medical Science, Interdisciplinary
Why do we think and behave the way we do? Accumulating behavioral evidence suggests that the sleeping brain plays a critical role in our thoughts and actions. However, little is known about the ways the sleeping brain accomplishes this work. In the Cognitive Somnology lab, we develop and integrate various neuroimaging (including 3T and 7T MRI), physiological (polysomnography including EEG), and psychophysics techniques to elucidate the fundamental role of the sleeping brain in human cognition and behavior.
Job title and description
Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher, 1 position
Carries out research and other work in accordance with team research themes. Basically defined as those with a doctoral degree more than 5 years.
Carries out research and other work in accordance with team research themes under the direction of supervisors. Basically defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
We seek highly motivated candidates with an avid interest in the lab’s research themes. The successful candidate will carry out research and other work related to human sleep, behavior, and cognition, using various neuroimaging, physiological, and psychophysics techniques.
- The candidates should have a Ph.D. or expect to receive a Ph.D. before the date of employment
- The candidates should have research experiences and publications in a relevant field (e.g. psychology, sleep, neuroscience, engineering, computer science, statistics)
- The candidates should have research experiences using EEG and/or MRI measurements in human subjects
- The candidates should be proficient in a programming language (e.g. Matlab, R, Python)
- The candidates should be highly motivated in the team’s research topics
- The candidates should be proactive, have good communication skills, and be able to cooperate with the relevant personnel to fulfill the tasks
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198）
Salary and benefits
- A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, The employment duration will not exceed on March 31, 2028. (For a Postdoctoral Researcher, the employment duration will not exceed the end of fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 5 years of employment.)
- RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, workload at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013, for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date). However, employees who have previously worked at RIKEN may be subject to different rules for the period of fixed-term employment. Please refer to “RIKEN employment duration for fixed-term employees” for more details if necessary.).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a gender equality and diversity and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- Complete CV WORD(56KB) or EXCEL(159KB) (*Write down in the notes section of your CV the number written next to the title of the job position (e.g. W21277)
- List of research achievement and publications
- List of external funding awarded (including fellowships)
- Summary of previous studies
- Description of reason for application, future research plan, and self-appeal
- 1 letter of recommendation (from the current supervisor, If available)
Please specify the referee’s contact information (Name, affiliation, job title, phone number, and email address)
- Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, “Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR” with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website: https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection_en
How to apply
The above documents should be submitted via email.
Email: masako.tamaki [at] riken.jp (Replace [at] with @ )
Recommendation letter must be directly submitted from the referee via email.
Note: All the submitted documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling personal data
Selection will be made based on application screening, research talk, and interviews.
Start of employment
As soon as possible (negotiable)
Contact information/Send application to
RIKEN Center for Brain Science
Cognitive Somnology RIKEN Hakubi Research Team
Email: masako.tamaki [at] riken.jp (Replace [at] with @ )
For inquiries, please send an email.