Jun. 4, 2021
Postdoctoral Researcher Position
Laboratory for Protein Conformation Diseases
Center for Brain Science (W21072)
Laboratory for Protein Conformation Diseases, Center for Brain Science (Laboratory head：Motomasa Tanaka)
Biology, Medical Science, Interdisciplinary
Translation, Protein aggregation, neuropsychiatric disease
We aim to understand the molecular basis of neuropsychiatric diseases using both in vivo and in vitro systems via a variety of techniques including neurobiology, structural biology/biophysics, proteomics/genomics, and yeast genetics.
Job title and job description
Carries out research and other work in accordance with team research themes under the direction of supervisors. Basically defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
Studies on translational control and protein misfolding/aggregation in neuropsychiatric diseases
The candidate should be highly motivated, possess a doctoral degree in a related field and sufficient research experiences of RNA analysis (for example, RNA-seq). Details can be discussed upon request.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, The employment duration will not exceed the end of fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 5 years of employment.
- RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date). However, employees who have previously worked at RIKEN may be subject to different rules on period of fixed-term employment. Please refer RIKEN employment duration for fixed-term employees” for more details if necessary.).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available)
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equity Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- Complete CV (with photo and email address)
(RIKEN CV: WORD(56KB) or EXCEL(159KB) )
(*Write down in the notes section of your CV the number written next to the title of the job position (e.g. W21072)
- List of research achievement
- External funding awarded
- Summary of research experience to date
- Reason for applying for the post (personal strengths, motivation, future research plans, career aspirations, etc.)
- At least two letters of recommendation including current supervisor (If a letter by current supervisor is not possible, a letter by a third party) (three letters are preferable)
- Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, “Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR” with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Open until the position is filled
Handling personal data
Selection will be made based on application screening and interviews.
Start of Employment
As early as possible (negotiable)
Contact Information / Send application to
RIKEN Center for Brain Science
Laboratory for Protein Conformation Diseases
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
For inquiries, please send an email.