May. 27, 2021
Multiple Technical Staff (both I & II) Position
Laboratory for Consciousness（W21064)
Laboratory for Consciousness, Center for Brain Science (Team Leader: Hakwan Lau)
*Scheduled to start July 1st, 2021.
Computational Science, Biology, Medical Science, Interdisciplinary
conscious perception, working memory, mental imagery, attention, metacognition, brain stimulation, layer-specific fMRI
Our lab studies the neural mechanisms for conscious perception, as well as related phenomena such as metacognition, attention, working memory, mental imagery etc. We use a variety of tools including high field neuroimaging (at 7T) and transcranial brain stimulation. Our research focuses on human subjects, although in collaboration with others we are also broadly interested in computational and animal models.
Job Title and Job Description
Technical Staff I (Discretionary)
Technical Staff II (Non-Discretionary)
The main duty of the job is to help with data collection in experiments involving human subjects. This involves interacting with the participants, providing instructions, ensuring safety in operating the experimental equipment, as well as preparing documents for grant proposals and for obtaining ethical approval for studies. Depending on the interest and career aspirations of the candidate, training will also be provided for data analysis, experimental design and setup, as well as preparation of academic papers, and presentation of scientific findings.
The candidate should possess a bachelor’s degree. Basic familiarity with common computer software applications, such as spreadsheet programs, is required. Some experience with data analysis and computer programming are desirable. Because of the nature of the work, communication skills are highly important.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198）
Salary and Benefits
- A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of the end of the fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 7 years of employment.
- RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date). However, employees who have previously worked at RIKEN may be subject to different rules on period of fixed-term employment. Please refer “RIKEN employment duration for fixed-term employees” for more details if necessary.) .
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
Technical Staff I : Discretionary labor system for professional work and considered to have worked 7 hours and 30 minutes a day.
Technical Staff II : Non-discretionary labor system, and working hours are from 9:00 to 17:20 (lunch break 12:00 to 12:50). Supervisors may instruct employees to work outside of these hours.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available)
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equity Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Application and Required Documents
- Complete CV (with photo and email address)
WORD(56KB) or EXCEL(159KB)
(*Write down in the notes section of your CV the number written next to the title of the job position (e.g. W21064)
- List of research experience (if any)
- Reason for applying for the post (personal strengths, motivation, etc.)
- Contact details of a person who has agreed to provide reference (ideally, someone who has been a recent work of academic supervisor)
- Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, “Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR” with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website: https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection_en
June 30, 2021 (application to reach)
Handling personal data
Selection will be made based on application screening and interviews.
Start of Employment
As soon as possible (negotiable)
Contact Information/Send Application to
Center for Brain Science
Laboratory for Consciousness (Scheduled to be launched on July 1st),
Email: hakwan.lau [at] a.riken.jp (Replace [at] with @ )
For inquiries, please send an email.