Dec. 22, 2020
Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher Positions
Laboratory for Protein Conformation Diseases
Center for Brain Science (W20174)
Laboratory for Protein Conformation Diseases, Center for Brain Science (Laboratory head：Motomasa Tanaka)
Biology, Medical Science
Amyloid, Misfolding, Neuropsychiatric diseases
We aim to understand the molecular basis of neurodegenerative, neurodevelopmental and psychiatric diseases using both in vivo and in vitro systems via a variety of techniques including neurobiology, structural biology/biophysics, proteomics/genomics, and yeast genetics.
Job title and job description
Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher, 2 positions
Carries out research and other work in accordance with team research themes. Basically defined as those with a doctoral degree more than 5 years.
Carries out research and other work in accordance with team research themes under the direction of supervisors. Basically defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
Studies on protein misfolding, aggregation and translational control in brain diseases
The candidate should be highly motivated and possess a doctoral degree in a related field and sufficient research experiences using either of the following techniques: neurobiology (disease-model cultured neurons and mice), structural biology/biophysics (in particular, single-molecule (protein) analysis by optical tweezers or fluorescence, NMR analysis of macromolecular proteins (complexes), and single-cell omics.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- A one-year fixed-termemployment contract, renewable based on evaluation. The employment duration will not exceed the end of fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 7 years of employment. (Maximum employment duration for a Postdoctoral Researcher is 5 years)
- RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date). However, employees who have previously worked at RIKEN may be subject to different rules on period of fixed-term employment. Please refer RIKEN employment duration for fixed-term employees” for more details if necessary.).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available)
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equity Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- Complete CV (with photo and email address)
(RIKEN CV: WORD(56KB) or EXCEL(159KB) )
①（RIKEN CV）*Write the RIKEN job ad number “W20174”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN job ad number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
②（Original CV）*Write down in the notes section of your CV the number written next to the title of the job position (e.g. W20174).
- List of research achievements and publications
- List of acquired research grants
- Recommendation letters (at least 2 letters including one from the current supervisor, If available) (3 letters are preferable)
- Description of past research achievements (3 pages)
- Description of reason for application, future research plan and future perspective (3 pages)
- Description of self-appeal (1 page)
- Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, “Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR” with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
How to apply
Please make inquiries to the contact address listed below, then send the PDF formatted application by email at the same contact address.
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling personal data
Application screening, interview and oral presentation by selected applicants
Start of Employment
As early as possible (negotiable)
Contact Information / Send application to
RIKEN Center for Brain Science
Laboratory for Protein Conformation Diseases
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
For inquiries, please send an email.