Aug. 31, 2020
Faculty Position in Human Cognitive Function Research
Center for Brain Science（W20062)
RIKEN Center for Brain Science (CBS)
Biology, Medical Sciences, Interdisciplinary
Human, Cognitive function, MRI, Brain science, Neuroscience
The RIKEN Center for Brain Science (CBS) is Japan’s premier neuroscience research center. It has built on the twenty years of research achievements of its predecessor, the RIKEN Brain Science Institute (BSI). Taking advantage of the multidisciplinarity of the fields of medicine, biology, chemistry, engineering, mathematical sciences, and psychology, our aim is to advance basic research on the functions of the brain and the mind—from the levels of single cells and whole organisms to societal systems—and develop innovative technologies in the process. We also aim to find solutions to the issues confronting contemporary society, as we grapple with the psychological ramifications of our own inventions such as artificial intelligence (AI) and big data, and as we seek to conquer diseases such as depression and dementia.
For details, please refer to the RIKEN CBS website. https://cbs.riken.jp/en/
Job title and description
Job title, available positions
Team Leader (Principal Investigator position); one person
The successful candidate will manage an independent laboratory at RIKEN CBS. The laboratory will have access to a new human 7T-MRI system and a comprehensive brain imaging support unit to conduct research to elucidate the mechanisms of advanced cognitive and affective brain functions that make up the human mind. We welcome applications from both those who have mainly engaged in technological development and those who have focused on concept driven neuroscience research. In either case, hiring emphasis will be placed on individuals with a concerted research strategy incorporating technical development, in collaboration with CBS’s fMRI Support Unit, and fundamental groundbreaking neuroscience research. Experience in research using 7T-MRI is welcomed, but not required. We will prioritize the recruitment of a junior researcher in the hope of significant future development, but we will also consider established investigators who have already made outstanding achievements.
- University graduates with a PhD, although doctoral degrees are not a prerequisite
- Ability to conduct world-class research by taking advantage of the excellent research environments of CBS and RIKEN
- Possess leadership skills and management ability in the laboratory and the research community
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198）
Salary and benefits
- A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on annual evaluation, to a maximum of the end of fiscal year 2024 (March 31, 2025).
- RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
- Fixed-term Team Leaders are eligible to apply for an open call for indefinite-term Team Leader positions (equivalent to tenured positions) at RIKEN, and following evaluation by a RIKEN review board the contract may be changed to indefinite-term employment.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
Work hours: 9:00 to 17:20 (lunch break 12:00 to 12:50). Supervisors may instruct employees to work outside of these hours.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available)
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equity Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
＊Eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible to apply for MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
Required documents (All documents, including letters of recommendation, should be written in English)
- A cover letter with a brief summary of the current research program and future plans.
- Complete CV (with photo, home and office address, telephone number, email address, work history, academic degrees, current affiliation and position, certifications, etc.) *Write down in the notes section of your CV the number written next to the title of the job position (W20062).
- List of research achievements and publications (separate by category: research papers, review papers, patents, etc., and circle the titles of the major research papers in the list that you submit under item 7.)
- List of acquired research funding
- Current research and achievements to date
- Future research plans
- Reprints of major research papers you authored (maximum five papers); circle the titles of these papers in the list of research achievements and publications above (item3).
- Three letters of recommendation (including one from the current supervisor, if available.)
The applicant fills in necessary details (name, e-mail address, and the relationship with the applicant) about each referee, and an automatic request will be sent. Please ask each referee to follow the instruction e-mail that will be automatically sent to provide the recommendation letter.
If current supervisor’s recommendation is not available, a recommendation letter from a third party will be accepted.
The letter should be prepared as a PDF document as follows:
NB1: Letters of recommendation must be signed (or stamped) by the person writing the letter.
NB2: Letters must be addressed to “Dr. Hiroshi Matsumoto, the President of RIKEN”.
- Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document “Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR” with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website: https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection_en
In addition to items 1 to 9 above, during the hiring procedures for successful candidates, a check sheet and a Confirmation of employment duration and duties form and documents for obtaining a work visa for non-Japanese nationals will be required.
How to apply
Please submit the required documents in a PDF file by registering at https://cbs.riken.jp/career-7mri/ (application form URL). Please provide email addresses to contact the referees in the designated line in the application form. An automatic request to provide a recommendation letter will be sent to the referees.
Application documents will not be returned.
Application must arrive by the end of November 2020
Handling personal data
Short-listed candidates will be invited to RIKEN CBS for an in-person interview, which will include a seminar, an interview with the search committee, and laboratory visits to meet with CBS faculty members. However, depending on the situation of the COVID-19 pandemic, the seminar and interview may be conducted on-line.
Start of employment
April 1, 2021 or later (negotiable)
Contact information/Send application to
CBS Search Committee Administrative Office, RIKEN Center for Brain Science (CBS)
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Inquiries will be accepted by the following e-mail.
E-mail: cbs-search[at] ml.riken.jp (Replace [at] with @)
*Applications are not accepted from this email. Please refer to【Application and required documents】