Aug. 18, 2020
Research Associate Position
Thomas McHugh Lab for Circuit & Behavioral Physiology
Center for Brain Science (W20058)
Laboratory for Circuit & Behavioral Physiology, Center for Brain Science (Laboratory head：Thomas McHugh)
Hippocampus, CA2, medial septum, attention
Studying learning and memory using circuit genetics approaches in the mouse.
Job title and job description
Research Associate 1 position
Collect and analyze high-density physiology data. Experiments include optogenetic manipulation of neuronal activity in a circuit specific manner, fiber photometry, in vivo electrophysiology and behavior.
Experience in in vivo physiology, optogenetic manipulation and advanced data analysis required. Applicants who are expected to get Ph.D. in relevant field or aim for getting Ph.D. are highly welcome.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of the end of the fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 5 years of employment.
- RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available)
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equity Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- Complete CV
- 1 letters of recommendation (including one from the current supervisor, If available)
- List of research achievement
- Personal statement (cover letter)
- Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, “Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR” with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Until positions are filled
Handling personal data
Selection will be made based on application screening.
Start of Employment
Contact Information / Send application to
Email application materials to: thomas.mchugh[at]riken.jp