January. 22, 2020
Research Scientist Position
Laboratory for Neurodiversity（W19263)
Laboratory for Neurodiversity, Center for Brain Science (Team leader：Adrian Moore)
Biology, Medical Science
Job title and description
Job title, available positions
Research Scientist 1 position
The Laboratory for Neurodiversity (Moore) at RIKEN is looking for a postdoctoral molecular biologist and geneticist. The candidate will be expected to run complex molecular biology experiments including, cell isolation, transcriptomics, molecular cloning, biochemistry, and to carry out complex genetic analyses in Drosophila. A proven record of excellence in molecular biology and genetics is essential for this position. Further skills in bioinformatics and/or computational cell morphometric will be considered in selection. The ability to function effectively in a team will be also be considered strongly in selection. A working level of English language ability is required.
The candidate should possess a doctoral degree in a related field and research experience using molecular and cellular biology techniques. A preexisting publication record, and history of attaining competitive funding will be advantageous.
Branch and address
RIKEN Center for Brain Science
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198）
Salary and benefits
- A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of the end of the fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 7 years of employment.
- RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2020 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available)
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equity Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- Complete CV WORD(56KB) or EXCEL(159KB)
(1)（RIKEN CV）*Write the RIKEN job ad number “W19263”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN job ad number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
(2)（Original CV）*Write down in the notes section of your CV the number written next to the title of the job position (e.g. W19263).
- List of skills and research achievements
- External Funding awarded
- Reasons for applying for the post
- Contact information of two referees
- Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, “Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR” with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website: https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection_en
How to apply
Send the PDF formatted application by email to GCNA-admin[at]brain.riken.jp
Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling personal data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Start of employment
April 1st, 2020
Contact information/Send application to
RIKEN Center for Brain Science
Laboratory for Neurodiversity
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Email: GCNA-admin[at]brain.riken.jp (Replace [at] with @ )
For inquiries, please send an email.