November. 21, 2019
Technical staff position
Lab for Circuit & Behavioral Physiology（W19200)
Lab for Circuit & Behavioral Physiology, Center for Brain Science (Unit leader：Thomas McHugh)
Computational Science, Biology, Interdisciplinary
Circuits of memory, hippocampus, physiology, genetics, cognition
Studying learning and memory using circuit genetics approaches in the mouse.
Job title and description
Job title, available positions
Technical Staff I orⅡ: 1 position
Technical support for an ongoing project examining dynamic memory via collecting and analyzing high-density recording of neuronal activity in the hippocampus and cortex, allowing
Seeking a highly motivated candidate with an interest in memory. Applicants should possess a bachelors and/or masters in a related field and research experience with mice and/or data analysis. Applicants must be comfortable working in an international setting where the primary language of communication is English.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198）
Salary and benefits
- A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of the end of the fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 7 years of employment.
- RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
Technical staff I falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Technical staff II (Non-discretionary work system employees ): Work hours: 9:00 to 17:20 (lunch break 12:00 to 12:50). Supervisors may instruct employees to work outside of these hours.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available)
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equity Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Application and required documents
- Complete CV WORD(56KB) or EXCEL(159KB)
①（RIKEN CV）*Write the RIKEN job ad number “W19200”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN job ad number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
②（Original CV）*Write down in the notes section of your CV the number written next to the title of the job position (e.g. W19200).
- List of research experience and any publications
- List of acquired skills
- Reasons for applying for the post(personal strengths, motivation, etc.)
- A letter of recommendation from the current supervisor
- Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, “Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR” with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website: https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection_en
January 15, 2020
Handling personal data
Selection will be made based on application screening and interviews.
Start of employment
April 1, 2020
Contact information/Send application to
RIKEN Center for Brain Science
Attn: Thomas McHugh
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Email: thomas.mchugh[at]riken.jp (Replace [at] with @ )
For inquiries, please send an email.