Sep. 2, 2019
Team Leader or Unit Leader (Principal Investigator position)
Center for Brain Science（W19120)
RIKEN Center for Brain Science (CBS)
The RIKEN Center for Brain Science (CBS) is Japan’s premier neuroscience research center. It has built on the twenty years of research achievements of its predecessor, the RIKEN Brain Science Institute (BSI). Taking advantage of the multidisciplinarity of the fields of medicine, biology, chemistry, engineering, mathematical sciences, and psychology, our aim is to advance basic research on the functions of the brain and the mind—from the levels of single cells and whole organisms to societal systems—and develop innovative technologies in the process. We also aim to find solutions to the issues confronting contemporary society, as we grapple with the psychological ramifications of our own inventions such as artificial intelligence (AI) and big data, and as we seek to conquer diseases such as depression and dementia.
For details, please refer to the RIKEN CBS website. https://cbs.riken.jp/en/
Job title and description
Team Leader or Unit Leader (Principal Investigator position); several positions
We are recruiting outstanding researchers who can open up new frontiers in neuroscience, in line with "computational theory-driven brain research", which is one of the main subjects of CBS research. In this recruitment, we expect applications from young to senior researchers with wide variety of career stages. If you have the potential to be an outstanding computational researcher, you will be hired as a super young Unit Leader, provided that you have a doctoral degree by the date of employment, even if you are still enrolled in a postgraduate doctoral program. Researchers who wish to convert their expertise from other fields (e.g. physics, mathematics, engineering, information science) to computational brain science are also eligible to apply. In this case, we will comprehensively evaluate the applicant's scientific achievements and research proposals etc. and will hire any candidates who match the CBS aim. Since CBS also promotes experimental research, we expect research proposals that aim for collaborative research in the near future.
Research leader positions on other major topics* at CBS are currently open to the public (https://cbs.riken.jp/career-general/）.
* Research to reveal the high-level cognitive functions of the human brain, Cross-hierarchical studies based on animal models, Developing diagnostic and therapeutic methods for neurological/psychiatric disorders
- A doctoral degree is expected by the date of employment. Or a degree holder.
- Ability to conduct world-class research by taking advantage of the excellent research environments of CBS and RIKEN
- Possess leadership skills, management and communication ability in the laboratory and the research community. A person with broad curiosity and flexible thinking who can actively absorb knowledge from different fields and can work on building her/his own theory or model with keen insight.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198）
Salary and benefits
Terms of contract
- A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on annual evaluation, to a maximum of the end of fiscal year 2024 (March 31, 2025).
- RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude, and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- The employment period of fixed-term employees cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
However, the fixed-term employment contract may be changed to indefinite-term employment by applying to an open call for an indefinite-term position within RIKEN CBS and following evaluation by a RIKEN review board.
Salary, Work conditions
In principle, there will be a trial period of employment (2 months).
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
Work hours: 9:00 to 17:20 (lunch break 12:00 to 12:50). Supervisors may instruct employees to work outside of these hours.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equity Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
-Eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible to apply for MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
Required documents (All documents, including letters of recommendation, should be written in English)
- A cover letter with a brief summary of the current research program and future plans
- Complete CV (with photo, home and office address, telephone number, email address, work history, academic degrees or scheduled date for obtaining degree, current affiliation and position, certifications, etc.)
-Please write the number beginning with W (W19120) next to the title of this job posting in the upper right corner of your CV.
- List of research achievements and publications (separate by category: research papers, review papers, patents, etc., and circle the titles of the major research papers in the list that you submit under item 7.)
- List of acquired research funding
- Current research and achievements to date
- Future research plans
- Reprints of major research papers you authored (maximum five papers); circle the titles of these papers in the list of research achievements and publications above (item3).
- Three letters of recommendation (including one from the current supervisor, if available.)
The applicant fills in necessary details (name, e-mail address, and the relationship with the applicant) about each referee, and an automatic request will be sent. Please ask each referee to follow the instruction e-mail that will be automatically sent to provide the recommendation letter.
If current supervisor’s recommendation is not available, a recommendation letter from a third party will be accepted.
The letter should be prepared as a PDF document as follows:
NB1: Letters of recommendation must be signed (or stamped) by the person writing the letter.
NB2: Letters must be addressed to “Dr. Hiroshi Matsumoto, the President of RIKEN”.
- Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document “Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR” with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website: https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection_en
In addition to items 1 to 9 above, during the hiring procedures for successful candidates, a check sheet and a Confirmation of employment duration and duties form and documents for obtaining a work visa for non-Japanese nationals will be required.
How to apply
Please submit the required documents in a PDF file by registering at the online application page. Please provide email addresses to contact the referees in the designated line in the application form. An automatic request to provide a recommendation letter will be sent to the referees.
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
The end of November 2019
Handling personal data
Short-listed candidates will be invited to RIKEN CBS for an interview, which will include a seminar, an interview with the search committee, and laboratory visits to meet with CBS faculty members.
Start of employment
April 1, 2020 or later (negotiable)
Contact information/Send application to
CBS Search Committee Administrative Office, RIKEN Center for Brain Science (CBS)
Inquiries will be accepted by the following e-mail.
E-mail: cbs-search[at] ml.riken.jp (Replace [at] with @)
*Applications are not accepted from this email. Please refer to 【Application and required documents】