Jul. 16, 2019
Research scientist position
Kazuhisa Shibata, Lab. for Human Cognition and Learning（W19087)
Laboratory for Human Cognition and Learning, Center for Brain Science (Laboratory head: Kazuhisa Shibata)（W19087）
Our team (starting on Oct 1st 2019) focuses on brain mechanisms of human cognition and learning by using behavioral and neuroimaging methods, with particular emphasis on interactions between conscious and subconscious processing in the brain. We also develop new neuroscientific techniques such as behavioral experiments using virtual reality systems and analysis methods based on machine learning. We seek highly motivated researchers who wish to conduct important and exciting research in an excellent environment at RIKEN Center for Brain Science. Before sending an application, please see our lab’s webpage (https://shibatalab.riken.jp/) for more details about the recruitment process.
Job title and description
Job title, available positions
Research Scientist: a few position(s)
Successful candidates will use psychophysical and neuroimaging methods to brain processes that underlie human cognition and learning. We particularly look for researchers who are interested in the roles of subconscious processing in perception, cognition, motor function, and learning. While we already have various research ideas, additional new ideas are also welcome as long as the ideas are in accord with the team’s research direction.
- Candidates should have a Ph .D in a relevant field (Psychology, Cognitive Sciences, Neuroscience, Information Science) by a starting date
- Candidates should be comfortable working in an international environment in which researchers communicate primarily in English
- Qualified candidates are expected to apply for a research fellowship from domestic or international funding programs (e.g., JSPS, HFSP)
- We particularly welcome candidates who
(1) have proficiency in computer programming (Matlab, Java, Python, R) and experience in development of experimental tasks and analysis codes
(2) have experience in the use of neuroimaging techniques including functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI)
(3) have experience in the application of machine learning methods to behavioral and neuroimaging data
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198）
Salary and benefits
- A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of the end of the fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 7 years of employment.
- RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date)
In principle, there will be a trial period of employment (2 months).
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equity Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- Complete CV (with photo and email address) WORD(56KB) or EXCEL(159KB)
*Write the RIKEN job ad number “W19087”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN job ad number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- List of research achievements and publications
- A letter of recommendation from the current supervisor
(If the current supervisor’s recommendation is not available, a recommendation letter from a third party will be accepted)
- Description of your research achievements and research plan in our lab (up to 2 pages)
- Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, “Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR” with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website: https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection_en
How to apply
First, please see our lab's webpage (https://shibatalab.riken.jp/ ) for more details about the recruitment process. For submission, Send the PDF formatted application by email to shibata_lab_recruit[at]ml.riken.jp
(Recommendation letters must be emailed directly from the reference to shibata_lab_recruit [at]ml.riken.jp)
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling personal data
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to RIKEN CBS for an in-person interview and presentation.
Start of employment
As early as possible after September 1st 2019 (negotiable)
Contact information/Send application to
RIKEN Center for Brain Science
Laboratory for Human Cognition and Learning
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Email: shibata_lab_recruit[at]ml.riken.jp (Replace [at] with @ )
For inquiries, please send an email.