Nov. 7, 2018
Research scientist position
Thomas McHugh Lab. for Circuit and Behavioral Physiology
Center for Brain Science (W18072)
Laboratory for the Circuit and Behavioral Physiology, Center for Brain Science (Team leader: Thomas McHugh)
The hippocampus is one of the most well characterized and intensely studied regions of the mammalian brain and an ideal model system to test hypotheses linking memory and neural information representation. My laboratory combines in vivo hippocampal electrophysiology and cutting-edge conditional genetics to address research questions at a high level of precision. Our ability to manipulate plasticity, synaptic transmission or neuronal excitability in a subregion or pathway specific manner and to characterize the consequences of those manipulations on the behavioral and physiological level allows us to study the dynamic routing and use of spatial information in the brain
Job title and job description
Job title, available positions
Research Scientist 1 position
Physiological recordings, calcium imaging and optogenetic manipulation to study the dynamics of a memory trace.
We seek a highly motivated researcher with an interest in learning and memory and physiology. Applicants should have a PhD in neuroscience or a related field. Strong training in electrophysiology, optogenetics, programming/data analysis and/or behavior is ideal.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198）
Salary and benefits
- A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of the end of the fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 7 years*1 of employment.
- RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee's abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee's center, laboratory or project and RIKEN's management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- The employee's period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
In principle, there will be a trial period of employment (2 months).
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equity Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- Complete CV (with photo and email address) WORD(56KB) or EXCEL(159KB)
- List of achievements including publication list
- List of references
- One letter of recommendation (Ideally from current supervisor)
In addition to the above 2 items, the following documents are required for all candidates:"Confirmation Sheet" and "Confirmation of employment duration and duties form".
For non-Japanese candidates, visa related documents will also be required.
How to apply
Send the PDF formatted application by email to thomas.mchugh[at]riken.jp
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
December 1, 2018
Handling personal data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants.
April 1, 2019
Contact Information / Send application to
RIKEN Center for Brain Science
Attn: Thomas McHugh
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198