Aug. 10, 2018
Technical staff position
Joshua Johansen Lab. for Neural Circuitry of Learning & Memory
Center for Brain Science (W928)
Laboratory for Neural Circuitry of Learning & Memory, Center for Brain Science
(Team Leader: Joshua Johansen)
Research field and overview
Our laboratory studies how aversive experiences trigger changes in neural circuits resulting in memory formation and adaptive alterations in behavior. We use optogenetic, in-vivo electrophysiological and behavioral approaches to address this question.
Job title, available positions and job description
Job title, available positions
Technical Staff II: 1 position
Seeking a research technician to carry out neuroscientific experiments. Experience in animal behavior, optogenetics, and in-vivo electrophysiology is required. Duties will include histology, rodent surgery, in-vivo electrophysiology, immunohistochemistry, and optogenetics combined with behavior and electrophysiology.
The ideal candidate will have experience as a research technician and an extensive experimental background.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198）
Salary and benefits
- A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of the end of the fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 7 years of employment.
- RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee's abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee's center, laboratory or project and RIKEN's management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- The employee's period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
In principle, there will be a trial period of employment (2 months).
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
Work hours: 9:00 to 17:20 (lunch break 12:00 to 12:50). Supervisors may instruct employees to work outside of these hours.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equity Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Application and required documents
- Complete CV (with photo and email address) WORD(56KB) or EXCEL(159KB)
Write the 4 digit number beginning with “W”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the open call ID section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- List of achievements including publication list
- One letter of recommendation (Ideally from current supervisor, but if the current supervisor's recommendation is not available, a recommendation letter from a third party will be accepted)
In addition to the above 2 items, the following documents are required for all candidates:
“Confirmation Sheet” and “Confirmation of employment duration and duties form”.
For non-Japanese candidates, visa related documents will also be required.
How to apply
Send the PDF formatted application by email to jjohans [at] brain.riken.jp (Replace [at] with @)
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling personal data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
As early as possible
Contact information/Send application to
RIKEN Center for Brain Science
Laboratory for the neural circuitry of learning & memory
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Email: jjohans [at] brain.riken.jp (Replace [at] with @)
For inquiries, please send an email.