May 24, 2018
Postdoc position (systems neuroscience: experimental approaches)
Lab. for Neural Circuits and Behavior（W884)
Laboratory for Neural Circuits and Behavior, Center for Brain Science (Laboratory head：Andrea Benucci)
Our lab studies the neural basis of visual perception in mice trained to perform in behavioral tasks.
Using a combination of electrophysiological, fluorescence imaging, and optogenetic tools, we aim to understand how activations of population of neurons in the visual cortex give rise to a visual percept.
Job title and description
The project is to develop an optogenetic setup to perturb cortical responses during a behavioral task and correlate these perturbations to changes in behavioral performance.
We seek exceptional candidates with experience in optogenetics and/or two-photon calcium imaging. Candidates should have a Ph.D. in a relevant field (e.g., Neuroscience, Biology, Computer Science, Math, Physics). Proficiency in MATLAB is necessary as well as experience working with rodents.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198）
Salary and benefits
- A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of the end of the fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 7 years of employment.
- RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- The employee's period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
The salary system is annual and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will apply. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai) is required.
Days off include public holidays, New year's holidays (Dec. 29 – Jan. 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
※RIKEN promotes a Gender Equity Program by taking various measures to create an equitable workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When the abilities of candidates are judged to be equivalent through a fair and impartial evaluation process, preference will be given to females.
*Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible for applying for MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi)
Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply for external funds.
Application and required documents
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Candidates should provide:
- A cover letter
- CV WORD(56KB) or EXCEL(159KB) (with photo and email address)
*Write the 4 digit number beginning with “W884”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the open call ID section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- the names and contact information of three references (including the current supervisor, if available) with a brief description of your relationship to each reference
Open until the position is filled
Handling personal data
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to RIKEN-CBS for an in-person interview.
Contact information/Send application to
andrea.benucci[at]riken.jp, subject: postdoctoral position benuccilab
Laboratory for Neural Circuit and Behavior
RIKEN Center for Brain Science
Room 101b, Neural Circuit Genetics Research Building
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako-shi, Saitama 351-0198, Japan